Sunday, January 23, 2011

Finest Beating of My Life .. So far

You seen his portrait downstairs?  


Yesterday I took my green belt test for Krav Maga.  It was grueling through techniques encompassing kick defenses, punch defenses, reactions to hair grabs, bear hugs, reverse headlocks.  I had already gone through two and a half hours and 2 t shirts ... and then we got to the sparring portion and things just got sadistic.


The dreaded sparring portion of the green belt test is infamous for absolutely beating the crap out of everyone who takes it, and I can personally attest to this.  I'd been supplementing my usual krav maga classes with fight classes for a few months and luckily that kept me from being reduced to pure pulp. For an hour and what seemed like forever, I was rotated in and out of a shark tank and had to stand and fight people well past the point of my endurance.  I think I literally collapsed after my turn in the shark tank, but then had to pull myself together for the rest of the test.  More than once I thought of how obscene it was that I was paying for this abuse.  But now that I've had a little bit of time to think about it, I think I see the value of such abuse: if you can make it through something that tough, then a lot of things in life are that much easier.  Toughness in people is a quality I really respect and so if I can summon it in myself, it boosts my self respect as well.

At the very least, the next time I get hit, instead of thinking 'ow', I can think 'oh heck, this isn't as bad as my green belt test'

oh yeah, and hopefully I passed.  I still haven't found out

No comments:

Post a Comment